Wednesday, February 18, 2009
DIY - Castiglioni Arco Lamp
Another ebay auction I've kicked myself for missing is a miniature lamp reminiscent of Castiglioni's Arco lamp. I guess . . . I didn't know how much I wanted it until it was gone? Ha!
I realize that I'm actually now taking design cues from my parents. The house that we lived in from when I was 2 until 9 years old was the model home for the neighborhood, complete with full on 70's decor. In the living room, there was an upholstered wall panel, brown with yellow and white daisies - and a matching couch! When we moved, we left the wall panel (it was built in) and the couch (who could separate the set?). What did make the move to the new home was a repro Arco lamp. When I was young, I would even shimmy up the post and dangle from the overhanging arc.
Anyway, trip down memory lane completed, after some futile internet and ebay searches, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I had to get a bit creative with sourcing components. The hardest part was to find something that would work as the globe light portion. I looked for dollouse bowls, bead caps . . . and then one day while I was measuring some spices, it hit me: measuring spoons. Turns out, it is quite hard to find an online review for cheap measuring spoons that reads: "These measuring spoons suck and snapped right off the handle after I had them for two weeks" instead of "These measuring spoons are super sturdy and are a great purchase for the price!" On a recent trip to Target, I looked at cheap measuring spoons and ended up, in fact, with a melon baller.
Melon baller and memo clips, in their prior lives. Bonus: the melon baller had a hole pre-punched in the top, and I don't end up with multiple extra 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon measures in my kitchen.
For the arc portion, after fussing around for way too long online trying to figure out wire gauges, I eyeballed a metal frame purse handle on my most recent trip to Lee's Art Shop and purchased it on a hunch.
Total cost, roughly $6 (the ebay auction went for over $15, plus shipping, I believe). Not too bad. I would have preferred a marble base like the original, and mine has a tendency to tip over on a whim unless affixed with sticky tac. I might have to work a little more on the weighting. Overall, though, I'm pretty pleased.